The Home$tart Grant Program promotes homeownership by helping first-time homebuyers purchase a home.
- $5,000 in Grant funds available to home buyers who have not owned a home in three years
- May be used for down payment and closing costs in combination with funds from other grant or financing sources
- Cannot have owned a home in the last 3 years
- Demonstrate that household income does not exceed 80 percent of area HUD median income, adjusted for family size, based on their current home address
- Complete an approved Homebuyer Education course
- Purchase a home within one year of being enrolled in the program
- Agree to place a recorded, five-year deed restriction on the home. If the home is sold within five years of purchase, a pro-rata share of the Home$tart Grant must be repaid by the homebuyer